Satellite
  • Day 1

    Going solo

    April 24, 2017 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Cape Town to Singapore flight with Singapore airlines, 13 hour flight.

    We didn't manage to get much sleep during the flight as we departed at 10:30am meaning we arrived in Singapore at 6am severely jet lagged and out of sorts. Bailey was also very hungover 😵

    We found our hotel (Park Regis) which was very welcoming and allowed us to check in early, lovely rooftop pool, gym (free apples 🍎) we napped for 4 hours and by the time we came back a thunder storm was hitting Singapore. We loaned umbrellas and went to Clarke Quay for a massively overpriced Chinese meal before going to marina bay and gardens by the bay. Clarke Quay has really developed since I last visited and there's lots of choice. Struck by how many people were taking/posing for pictures, must have photobombed so many inadvertently. Gardens by the bay puts on a light show each evening to music and it was incredible to watch.

    Rainy season in Singapore meant contending with huge downpours and humidity! We visited Orchard Road, a shoppers paradise so many huge malls and all inter connected so you don't even have to go outside and get wet. Picnic was a cool spot for lunch, with little pop up street food choices and cool decor. China town was really nothing to rave about and we found a cool rooftop bar called Le Park which would have been amazing had it not been raining! It was on top of a shopping centre/car park and sold craft beer so bailey was a happy man.

    We moved to our downgrade hotel the next day after spending as much time as we could round the pool of Park Regis. Guernsey has the worst cinema so we visited the imax to see fast and the furious 8 (baileys choice not mine) there is a reason why most films don't get past a trilogy 🙈we had big plans to go to universal studios on Sentosa island the next day but slept in!! It was a gorgeous sunny day so we visited the Botanical Gardens which were stunning but could do with an outdoor pool or something to cool you down. The next day we managed to get to universal studios, it's nothing compared to America but had a couple of good rides and we loved the Water world show.

    Our final day in Singapore we visited marina bay sands and paid to go up to the observation deck/bar. Whilst there we got chatting to some ex-pats (Sam and Bear) who basically informed us we hadn't seen the real Singapore! They took us to some back street bars and food places you would never find on tripadvisor.
    Read more