Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Dolphins, knots and drills

    July 20, 2023, North Sea ⋅ 🌬 13 °C

    Our night watch was very quiet, and spent doing nothing more than sitting around after carrying out 1 hour of physical watch duty.
    This time I was on fire watch with Alan.
    We had to visit numerous locations, check them and report back to the Officer of the Watch. The only activity above deck consisted of trainees going aloft and along the yard of the main sail. I also helped clean the Men's toilets, this is red Watch's cleaning role.

    Our second watch was much better, my favourite so far.
    I was on lookout with Ava for the first hour. The wind was nice and fresh and it wasn't raining. Nothing came over the horizon for the entire hour. But we were lucky to spot some dolphins swimming across the Bow. This activity really made me glad to be alive. Living and sailing such an old and graceful vessel is just awesome.

    (some of life's best moments are those in your memory. These are real experiences even if they may lack the physical visual provided in a photo.)

    The rest of the watch involved learning to tie knots.
    Figure of 8, Clewline, clove, sheet bend, bowline, reef.
    Then after that, the entire ship held a fire drill, where the crew practiced with fire hoses spraying into the sea. This was followed by an exercise of abandoning ship. The entire ship's company mustered on deck and survival suits were handed out to all.
    The watch ended with snack time at 3, where pancakes were on offer.

    The ship's merchandise shop was open today! I bought a One Ocean expedition t-shirt.

    We finished the day playing more card games and monopoly.
    Read more