Satellite
  • Day 15

    Machu Picchu, the hidden city

    November 24, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Another 2h from Ollyantaytambo with the Inca Rail, you reach Aguas Calientes (that reminds me of disneyland) where hundreds of buses leave from 5am in the morning to the famous MACHU PICCHU.

    In contrast to the other Inkan town, this city in the mountains has not been discovered for almost 500 years after the Spanish colonisation began. Also most of Inkan people back then didn’t know of its existence. The city was the residence of the Inkan leaders and for 600 Inkas of the highler class. Finally, it was discovered and recuperated in the beginning of the 1900s and opened for tourism in the 1980s. Since then, it is outstanding symbol for Peru and UNESCO World Heritage.

    What can I say? Apart from the thousands of tourists, you feel that this is a special place the first minute you arrive there. Hidden in between the mountains and the clouds, this place feels mystic. It stands for an empire that is still part of the Peruvian culture and language (Quechua is still the second language in Peru).

    Everything is impressive about it: how it was built, how the Inkas were able to build it up in the mountains at all, how they knew about the nature and agriculture, how they developed a deep believe in the gods of nature and symbolism and last, but least how this place today makes you feel free and happy. So if you have the chance to visit this place, be grateful and smile! Just like the Llama! 😬🤓
    Read more