Satellite
  • Day 14

    Genoa

    August 10, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We checked out of our apartment before 10 am and then walked to the Verona Porta Vescova station. From there it was a 10 minute train ride to the central station Vercona Porta Nuova. We had 2 hours to wait before our train to Genoa transferring in Milan. We had coffee and did some clothes shopping. Shorts were on special.

    We were finally on our way at 12.32pm. The train travelled quite fast. We had a 20 minute change of trains in Milan. We arrived in Genoa at 3.45 pm. The weather was the coolest it had been for the whole trip.

    After catching a taxi to our hotel. Our hotel was well located in the old part of the city close by to all the main sites. After checking in we ventured out to explore the city

    Genoa (Genova) is a port city and the capital of northwest Italy's Liguria region. It's known for its central role in maritime trade over many centuries. In the old town stands the Romanesque Cathedral of San Lorenzo, with its black-and-white-striped facade and frescoed interior. Narrow lanes open onto monumental squares like Piazza de Ferrari, site of an iconic bronze fountain and Teatro Carlo Felice opera house.

    After exploring the very narrow alley ways and back streets we stopped for an aperitif for happy hour. We both had a Spritz at a sidewalk bar. The drink is prepared with prosecco wine, a dash of some bitter liqueur such as Aperol and is commonly drunk in north eastern Italy.

    After that we had dinner at Icuochi. Located in a narrow side alley they specialised in seafood. We had the mixed seafood platter which had oysters and raw fish carpaccio. It was very good value meal set in a nice interior.
    Read more