Satellite
  • Day 3

    For the foodies

    October 20, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    It was a very wet day here today. After a late start I went down to Circular Quay and looked around The Rocks. I always try to have one “nice”meal out when I go somewhere new so several months ago when starting to plan my trip I was told by a couple of people at work I had to go to Quay Restaurant and have the snow egg. So I made a booking for lunch today and I wasn’t disappointed.
    Even though there was a cruis ship in that obscured the Opera House I still had a good view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

    I didn’t get a photo and of the amuse bouche of creme fraiche, fish eggs and something crunchy, I forget what. Then came a sourdough spelt roll with butter and salt. I’d never have thought to add salt to bread and butter but it was delicious.

    First course was raw smoked wagyu, fermented chilli, miso, shaved fungi, kombu, cultured cream, dory roe.
    This was delicious, not to spicy and the texture of the beef only just raw.

    Second course was uni, koshihikari rice, cured egg yolk, fish maw, day lily, ama ebi, umami broth. I’ll be honest, apart from the umami broth I had no idea what any of the ingredients were. I could decide between the options so went for the one that would have the new ingredients.
    This was my favourite course. One of those ingredients was a prawn style seafood, all the textures went so well together. The ingredients on there own weren’t all that great but all together it was sooo good.

    Third course was roasted master stock duck, house made koji paste, hatsuka radish, ice plant, orach. This was my least favourite course, there was nothing wrong with it, it just didn’t have the wow factor of the other courses.

    Final course was the snow egg. They change the flavour with the seasons and it is currently strawberry. Strawberry chantilly cream, strawberry granita, meringue ball with strawberry ice cream in the middle and hard outer shell. This too was amazing. Again all the different textures together is what made it so great.

    After that all I wanted to do was go back to the hotel and sleep! Instead I briefly considered a harbour tour but it really isn’t the weather for it so I went to the Hyde Park Barracks instead. The museum focussed a bit more on the history of the actual building that of the people who resided there but it was still interesting.
    I won’t be cooking tonight after that lunch a bath and then bed I think.
    Read more