Satellite
  • Day 8

    Husky sled

    January 24, 2020 in Finland ⋅ 🌙 -4 °C

    This was absolutely fantastic and a highlight of the tour. I had done a husky sled in Alaska but we merely went around in a circle on a glacier.

    Here I drove the Huskies (six of them) through open fields and narrow pathways through the forrest.

    Such a thrill. When you approach the huskies who are all set up they are madly barking as they know they are going to get a run. They love it. When they take off they go fast so you have to hold on tight and break abit.

    As I took off I notice huskies on either side of me as the sled behind me wasn't breaking enough. Then those dogs behind started fighting and I freaked!

    So I am screaming to the sled behind BREAK!
    I am abit nervous around dogs I don't know so fighting huskies right behind me is a nightmare!

    As they go they eat snow along the way to cool down. The two front dogs are the smartest as they choose the path based on the best terrain. Not surprisingly they are almost always female!
    The middle dogs are usually teenagers who are still learning or the not so bright dogs who just run - these are predominantly male! No surprise there!
    The back dogs are the strongest.

    The dogs fight alot with each other but they don't attack humans.

    They live in pairs unless they are psycho in which case they live on their own.

    At this farm when the dogs retire they are looked after until they die. We went and visited them and they love the attention and a pat.
    Read more