Satellite
  • Day 109

    Rainbow Mountain

    April 9, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Our friends, Jenny and Marty, head home to Colorado tomorrow so we thought we would get one final ride in with them up Rainbow Mountain.

    Rainbow Mountain is home to some more magical geothermal beauties, which we stopped to admire on the climb to the top. The wet clay surface made climbing to the top a little tricky but thankfully not too long.

    After admiring the views from the top we set off down the descent, unfortunately our party of five quickly became a party of four when Paul, our riding mate from northern England, decided to have a fight with a rock a few corners into the trail (the rock won!). Being good friends we strapped up Paul's fingers and waved goodbye as we sent him off down the road. Time to party train down some slick rooty corners before hitting the fast and flowing loam section down to Kerosene Creek at the bottom of the mountain.

    We decided not to take a dip in the hot springs at the bottom as Paul's hand was looking in need of some medical attention.

    Minus a fractured fourth metacarpal and some obligatory faff, today was another fun day on the bikes.

    Christine
    Read more