Satellite
  • Day 10

    Settling in

    June 18, 2017 in Uganda ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    It has been almost a month in Ruhija now, and I have had a lot of time to reflect. Nearly every weekend we have done a trip (lake Bunyonyi, Buhoma) and I think this has enabled me to see different sides of Uganda from different perspectives. There are times I feel like a tourist, but mostly I feel like a traveller or even more of a local in the community, although I will always stand out because of how I look.
    For the most part I do not really feel like a tourist because I am with the Ugandan students working in the clinic and our accommodations with ITFC are awesome, but feel more like camping than anything else. On the weekends though I am a tourist even if I feel like I am different from the other tourists I meet. At resorts there are tons of other white people. Many complain about the slow wifi or cold showers and I am just thrilled to have these things. I get really excited about flushing toilets and sinks with running water because I am used to latrines and hand sanitizer. I don't really know where I fit anymore, but I am just trying to enjoy whatever comes my way.
    It took a long time (about one month), but I feel that I am finally embracing being in Africa and am looking forward to the next couple months here. I love having fresh avocado, bananas, pineapple, and jackfruit all the time. Beans and rice is a good staple. Posho (maize flour cooked to the consistently of mashed potatoes) and matoke (plantain) and g nuts (ground nut sauce) are pretty good too.
    Read more