Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 238

    Borumba Dam

    January 17, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We borrowed Renee's parents' tent and some of Jamie's camping gear and took ourselves off to a bush campsite, which is located in the hills behind the sunshine coast.
    We checked out another camping gear factory on our way and made a decision to order one of their products for delivery the week we return from New Zealand.
    The campsite owner was very laid back and assisted us to find a sheltered pitch. The site is just below a dam, which holds water for irrigation to the farmlands surrounding. The lake formed by the dam is used for fishing and recreational purposes and the site was filling up with people towing boats and kayaks. Next to us were two Aussie gents who were keen to advise us of the perils of camping.
    Don't leave eggs in your tent or the guanas (pronounced GGWWAAANAHS) will come in and trash it, the Kookaburras will also steal food from your hands. They were a funny pair - keen to talk about themselves and to advise the pitfalls of buying camping equipment in Australia. One of them had spent a large sum on a hybrid camper trailer that he was less than enamoured with - BUY AUSSIE mate none of that imported stuff. They were good sports though and disappeared each morning with boat in tow to fish on the lake. They were happy bunnies because they were catching Australian fresh water bass which they brought back each night to cook. They brought us over a sample to taste, which was very nice cooked in oil and battered with bread crumbs. We also met a very friendly couple camping at the other side of us, Dwayne and Steph. Steph is from Chester in England originally but has lived here for 20 years, and has a very Australian accent. Both of them were keen to chat to us and to share experiences and suggest places to visit. Everyone is very friendly here.
    We walked to the lake, about a mile away, which the locals thought was odd as everyone drives about here and then we walked down to the creek swim hole where we could cool off - it was three hundred yards from our tent and everyone could not believe that we would not drive to it. To be fair it was midday with searing temperatures, so I reckon they are the sensible ones!!!!
    We enjoyed the peace and quiet at the campsite. However the kookaburras and other bush birds were very chatty at sun up, and people over here rise much earlier than in England. Sensible, as it gets hot so early in the day.
    We spent a day on the beach at Noosa Heads, which is one of our very favourite places on the Sunshine Coast. It was Saturday and busy with holiday makers. We visited the beautiful shops there, and then went to the main beach. The sea was just perfect, the ideal temperature. We were in and out to cool off. Back at the campsite we BBQed at the camp kitchen. A great facility which nearly every campsite in Australia has.
    Read more