Satellite
  • Day 405

    Shrewsbury

    July 3, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Shrewsbury is a town I spent a couple of hours in on my End2End cycle ride a few years ago as I needed to get a repair to my bike. I remembered it being a very elegant town with some historic buildings in a very smart town centre bordered by the River Severn.
    We managed to find a site just to the north of the river and 10 minutes walk into the town.
    Shrewsbury is a little gem of a place. We have seen it in glorious sunshine and probably at its best, but it is full of ancient buildings intermingling with old churches, tudor buildings and new arcades - everything was well looked after and pristine.
    The old Castle stands high and is now a military museum, it overlooks a sweeping bend in the river which surrounds the town centre and within the loop lies sports grounds, gardens, very elegant school buildings and meadows.
    One day was spent with retail therapy and the next we spent walking around the river walk and gardens. There is a fabulous fabric/patchwork shop which Karen had googled before our visit. It had such a wide choice of wonderful fabrics- just had to buy some!!!
    The town is full of things to do and to see, and a haven for CAMRA enthusiasts. Our neighbours on the site have spent 10 days here taking it all in whilst sampling the real ales which abound- there seems to be an old pub on every corner.
    We enjoyed an afternoon tea by a riverside cafe in glorious sunshine.
    We resolved to return here at a later date as we have enjoyed the town so much.
    Read more