Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 529

    Hay on Wye

    November 4, 2019 in Wales ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We stayed three nights at Hay-on-Wye which is a lovely little town right on the Wales/England border. Our site was adjacent to the fields where they hold the annual book festival. We had a look at the town on our first day and walked along the riverside. The town is full of second hand book shops, we looked in nearly every one but could not find the two books we were looking for.
    The following day we set off for a long walk through the town again and then pitched off to the south to take in some of the Offa's Dyke pathway. We rose high above the valley onto the Black Mountains, passing through the tree line onto the high moor and eventually reaching the ridge top at about 1500 ft where we stopped for our packed lunch. The ground under foot was very wet and in some places very slippery but the views and the autumnal colours in the trees were once again worth it.
    Coming off the ridge we tried to follow another path through woods and farm land but the going was very boggy and the footpath not very well way marked. We quickly decided it would be safer to return by road. We walked circa 9 miles and enjoyed every bit of it.
    Our lazy third day was interrupted by a phone call to say that the fridge part had arrived at the motorhome dealership - so we returned to Cross Hands to get it installed. The route we took across the Brecon Beacons was quite spectacular - had we had time we would have stopped to admire the scenery. Fridge fixed we returned to Hay in rain and darkness.
    Read more