Satellite
  • Day 24

    Day 22 Cruising English Channel

    August 23, 2019, English Channel ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    This was the last day of the cruise portion of the trip before 5 days in London to finish. As is typical on a last day at sea there are several rituals to observe. Firstly there are the many goodbyes you have to make. A small ship like the Nautica means you get to see and spend time with a lot of people and crew over the course of the 20 days.

    Secondly as with all cruise lines they are super keen for you to (positively) review the trip and the crew by means of a survey that each line conducts after every cruise. Then you need to decide to which of the crew you might tip that little bit extra (even though all gratuities are included there is still an expectation that some tipping will take place). Most importantly is the cashing of the credits (O points) that have been won for playing/winning/participating in various games or quizzes during the trip.

    We had a staggering return of over 300 (360 to be exact) which enabled us to get lots of “free” branded gear -socks/hats/shirts/jackets and the like.

    Lastly (after packing of course) we had dinner with our quiz team who had all grown really close over the course of the trip (we ended up finishing second overall in number of points won by any of the 12 or so quiz teams during the voyage if anyone is wondering) and ended up finishing the evening up in the main bar about 11pm.

    Early start tomorrow so that’s it for today’s update. Photos attached show...

    Our O ;points collection!; sunset over Dublin as we pulled out; the final crew show of the trip (virtually the only one we went to over the whole trip); “baggo” - one of the games regularly played on board; Bingo!! - more lost than won I’m afraid; a video of some lumpy weather between Greenland and Iceland in 4 metre seas.
    Read more