Satellite
  • Day 4

    Kyoto - Terrific Temples

    July 2, 2017 in Japan ⋅ 🌙 25 °C

    Kyoto was the imperial capital of Japan for many centuries until 1869 when the capital was moved to Tokyo. During its golden era, many temples and shrines were built, which are the main tourist attractions of the city. You could spend a month here and still not get round them all. I set off today to visit a few, and was surprised how many could be visited quite easily by public transport. Armed with my Japan Rail Pass and day bus ticket, I set off.

    Top of my agenda was Kinkaku-ji, the famous temple of the Golden Pavilion. I was not disappointed. The impact of seeing this gleaming apparition floating above the Mirror Pond was quite breathtaking.

    The next stop was the very photogenic Fushimi-Inari Taisha - vermillion coloured gates frame the 4km paths that wind their way up through the deep forest to the summit of the mountain. It was such an amazing sight to see. It can't be that difficult to reach the summit, I thought, when I saw some elderly Japanese citizens striding up before me. What they didn't tell me was that there were 10,000 of these bloody gates to walk though - and the hill got steeper and steeper. I was determined though and, after a few rest breaks, I made it to the shrine at the top. I can tell you I was knackered with a capital F! I was expecting at least a McDonalds at the top, but all I got was a cup of green tea sitting cross-legged on the floor of a tea-house. (Anne, you would have been proud of me sipping my green tea). At least the descent will be easier, I thought - wrong! The humid weather changed into a violent thunderstorm, and after waiting in vain for the torrential rain to subside, I had to just go for it - I tell you, when I reached the bottom I was like the proverbial wet dishrag!

    No more temples, I thought. I headed into my favourite Asian store to dry off - Takashimaya (Ken, they had a good sale on!). I then explored the Gion Entertainment District - with its quaint wooden tea-houses and bustling atmosphere. I attended one of the theatres there for a tourist sampler of traditional arts including a tea ceremony, court music, puppet theatre, flower arranging and Geisha dancing. It was very worthy, but very sedate - I thought we needed Dixie Carr from The Apollo Players telling the performers to make everything much bigger and ‘tae belt it oot!’

    Throughout the city there were a lot of girls dressed up as Geishas, which apparently is a big thing to do, although they were clearly party shop versions of the real thing. I'm sure June from That Looks Good could have costumed them much better.

    Well, Kyoto it's been fun - but tomorrow I'm headed for the real capital - Tokyo!
    Read more