Satellite
  • Day 35

    Day 35. Rieti

    September 28, 2017 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Our last washing day today. The lavandaria took our washing so we had an hour to spare. We watched the drama of 4 Italians cutting down a tree. Not being sarcastic they didn't have a bloody clue what to do. As is their way there was a lot of shouting and gesticulation. I had to restrain myself as I could have given them some simple instructions that would have accomplished the task quicker and easier. Eventually the tree fell.
    We had time to buy some fruit before collecting the laundry.
    Dropping off the laundry at the hotel we visited the Duomo where a gentleman took us under his wing and pointed out the main features. From first appearances it is a temple to marble but sadly it's a paint job. A dismal and overpowering place.
    In the crypt, very beautiful was a column with an inscription that it was 32 leagues to Rome. An alter slab had an inscription with the date 1157.
    We had a long walk along the banks of the river Velino, the source of the Cascata at Marmore.
    We bump into Sandy and some of his group before lunch and gelato.
    We found a lovely little restaurant for our dinner before retiring and getting ready for our departure tomorrow.
    Read more