Satellite
  • Day 5

    The Hard Work Starts Tomorrow

    May 8, 2019 in England ⋅ 🌫 13 °C

    But first we have to finish our road trip to the starting point of our walk. After a scrumptious breakfast we headed generally south(ish) from Dorchester towards the coast through the Dorset AONB ... O for Outstanding 😀 ... and it was. Our morning was filled with impossibly quaint villages and nauseatingly gorgeous scenery. We set the GPS to avoid main roads so most of our route was on lesser roads and narrow country lanes with hedges whizzing past very close to the window. An "oooh, look at that'" moment was revealed at every corner we turned and every gap in the hedge.

    It's impossible to see a town named Beer on the map and not set the GPS to take you there. So to Beer we went, via more lanes and "B" roads, and yes, of course we had a beer in Beer 🍺🍺

    The last leg of our road trip was to Exeter Airport to return the hire car and throw ourselves on the mercy of public transport to reach our ultimate destination.

    Part 1, find the return depot, was achieved after a couple of u-turns because we missed the tiny sign on the fence.

    Part 2, catch a bus from the depot to the train station, was very easy ... there is only one bus so it's virtually impossible to get that wrong.

    Part 3, catch a train to Yeoford, was also easy but a little daunting when the guy selling us the ticket asked "Yeoford, are you sure, you do know it's in the middle of nowhere?" Undaunted by his hesitance, we bought our tickets and then missed the train. The big voice in the loudspeaker said the train was delayed due the track being closed when a WWII bomb was found earlier in the day. So we went to get coffee and the train arrived right on time. Oh well, luckily there was another train later in the day.

    Safely arriving in the middle of nowhere, aka Yeoford, we dragged our bags up the lane to our accommodation in a 16th century farmhouse. A warm welcome, a roaring fire and a cup of tea with choc-chip cookies ... nowhere is a good place to be 😀
    Read more