Satellite
  • Day 57

    Tunbridge Wells, UK

    May 11, 2019 in England ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    Greenwich and Beyond
    We came up the Thames, in the early hours of the 10Th May, one of the largest cruise ships to do this , and you can see why. A close fit in places, not to miss a thing ,I was up just after 4am, when we came through the narrow flood barriers, didn’t look to be space, but there was, a hint of dawn, and further up at the India Wharves, 2 large tugs waiting to turn us completely around, from there on, it was some way, we backed up the rest, around corner’s, until I recognised the landmarks of the Power Station , then The Cutty Sark, where we moored, very nearby. 3 huge anchor buoys at the bow , and 2 at the stern, in the middle of the river… A prime spot.
    Early off, [the Thames ferries our shuttles ,for a 5 min ride..] to see all that offered, we walked along to the Maritime Museum,[with the huge ship in the bottle], at the foot of the Meridian Line, with the Greenwich Time building above, on the hill, where we sat long ago with Lorraine and Norm, during our very happy OE, in 98. London doesn’t really change, the Cutty Sark in its glory ,more closed in now days, and the beautiful garden around the park contains a lovely Herb Garden, the huge trees ,avenues of colour , in various shades of green, on a sunny morning. The centre of the Park is a doggie area, so with ears flying, many were excited at their morning run ,balls being thrown ,and much fun ,for all shapes and sizes.
    The tiny streets of Greenwich, typical old England, zillions of souvenir shops…
    Tied very one, for the Royal Baby Mug ,too soon they said ,but will keep looking ,and we have one more avenue…
    A pretty Market ,with interesting crafts, then a walk along the river front ,many hours later we returned on board to pack…
    Lunch , then dinner and the Show, with our Melbourne friends ,had our Captains farewell the previous night …Many goodbyes to our lovely staff ,and others, what a journey it has been ,enjoyed something in every single day, learnt so much ,and saw wonderful places and things along the way..Sam was asked are you happy to be leaving, and he said ,I would be happy to go on for another month ,and yes we find it such a great way of life, but there will be more adventures in times ahead..Hopefully.
    Disembarked on Saturday morning ,a slow process, but our driver waiting ,and down to Tunbridge wells we came, in pouring rain..
    Our ‘’Olde Worlde ‘,Mt Edgcumbe Hotel, situated tucked away, on the edge of the Common, in pretty surroundings…Bluebells around, and squirrels scampering about…Sam a little un impressed at first sight ,as we waited in the tiny Bar, with the Grotto behind, on rickety chairs ,badger pictures on the wall, owls in various forms ,but once installed above, in our very lovely room, it was fine, not so for the poor Owner who lugged our cases up the stairs…but she smiled.! An “African Theme “in here, the Bathroom is amazing with a Giraffe Head on the wall, we have African cushions ,and lamps ,the décor is very nice..Very comfortable indeed..
    Off to the Pantiles, the older part of the City , Markets of Food ,and veggies ,so a little lunch, and a long walk to explore the town, up hills and down dales, it’s over a wide area.’ Looking for another suitcase…but…369 Pounds and later even more… so on hold for now. This is an expensive, but quality place. We enjoyed seeing all the historic buildings, green spaces ,there are many, cricket on the common, this is England…
    Dinner at our tiny restaurant, which has a large outdoor area as well, but not the weather yesterday ,though much better later in the day.
    It is renowned, so in demand, the food was outstanding, it has recently been reviewed in the Times, and many awards, did not disappoint, Sam’s Mussels in a tomato broth, superb ,I had a vegetable risotto ,that was so creamy and delish… and not far to go home.!
    Today, Sunday, has been a delight, seeing our dear “ Elderly “ friends, Peter came at 10, a little tour of the city, home to Molly, at Whitegate’s ,NZ flag flying, looking simply wonderful in the Spring ,the gardens are a picture ,the birds feeding in abundance , coffee looking out on it all, and a lovely catch up. Molly will be 90 in September ,and Peter in March. They loved their poncho and sleeveless vest ,possum/merino.. so timely for Peter, as his was mislaid on a recent trip, and he was in mourning.. Immediately donned them, and off to lunch we went, through many highways and byways to a Country Inn called The Cat, where we had fish and big chunky chips ,mushy peas with a difference, such a treat…
    Back through the Countryside, which is all narrow roads , huge trees and tiny villages ,which ,on asking, Molly said , remain “English” ,because new residents of the UK, don’t want to be out of the cities ,so they don’t change, except for the thousands of cars that are filling the tiny roads to capacity…
    Cows out in the sunshine, glowing rapeseed fields, of brilliant yellow, huge and beautiful trees ,so thickly forested in many places ,and blue bells underneath ,signs for Deer, these still roam wild.. We stopped at Pooh Corner ,briefly, and I bought, quickly a “twiglet”pen, made from a tiny branch ,so precious, of course I cannot bring rough wood into the country, I was reminded ,so Molly’s Grt Grandchildren will enjoy that…!
    Molly has made me a lovely ,little, lined ,zipped ,purse, from the NZ fabric I gave her last time ,it is simply perfect, and a treasure…she also incorporated the same fabric into a quilt for her Grt Grand daughter ,she recently made three, for each of the children ,amazing at almost 90, also she still does her Black Work, embroidery, in the evenings ,she is making a set of cushions..
    A very special day with these dear souls, and tomorrow another outing planned… Hope it is not too cold for our arrival home at the weekend…Bye now ,from us in real “England”..
    Read more