Satellite
  • Day 45

    Rocks Market and Luna Park

    August 23, 2015 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    The receptionist yesterday had told us about the Rocks Sunday craft market and so after breakfast in the hotel (an automatic pancake making machine caught Natasha's eye!) we headed out. It was just after 9 and many stalls were only just setting up so we walked down to the Harbourside where a large P&O cruise liner had pulled in earlier that morning, We looped around to the top of the Rocks and the main temporary market street.

    The stalls were like a bigger, more varied version of the permanent ones in Covent Garden. we bought a few small things including some dairy free chocolate at different percentages up to 99%. At the top end their was a caricature man and Tash and Ed both had theirs done. I watched a man doing some spray painting art and also sussed out where the Bridgeclimb office was ready for tomorrow. We walked back down the market and the kids had a corn on the cob on a stick. We bought a print of Sydney harbour drawn by an autistic chap and some mini cup cakes.

    We finally found the visitor centre and got some leaflets then a coffee whilst deciding what we would like to do in our remaining time. With some ideas we went to talk to the staff, who suggested an iVenture card would be our best option. We could load it with 5 activity credits and use them against any of the attractions on the list - Jet Boat, Opera House tour and Zoo and Aquarium were on the list, so we bought them. Most were turn up and go, but the Jet Boat (Ozjet) needed booking and we did this for 3pm on Monday.

    Ed had a bit of a meltdown because the jet boat wasn't until tomorrow and at the suggestion of booking an opera house tour for today. We went back to the room to calm everyone down then headed back out to the Opera House to book a tour. On arrival we discovered that the tours for the day had finished due to the matinee performances in the theatres, so we booked it for 4.30 Monday after the Ozjet.

    This left us with the afternoon to fill and we settled on getting the ferry just across the harbour to Luna Park, an amusement park we had seen lit up from the our hotel room. We bought ferry tickets - apparently it was family funday Sunday so any family group could travel anywhere for $2.50 per person, so the tickets cost $10 for all of us. The ferry took about 5 minutes to cross the harbour and we alighted right at the scary clown face mouth entrance to Luna Park. Rides were via a wristband - Sam wasn't fussed about going on so the kids and I got unlimited bands. There were 12 rides in the park. The park reminded me a lot of the pleasure beach at Great Yarmouth years ago, though much smaller. The first ride we headed for was straight from Skegness though - the Wild Mouse, a rollercoaster with 2 people in a car that zipped round the track like a mouse. Ed wanted to go on it, but as ever with him he was also very reluctant, but we joined the queue and I went in the car with him - Tash went on her own in the car behind. It was a tight squeeze in the carriage, but we set off. The first part ere some twists and turns - scary because it seemed like the car was goin to tip off the track - the old fashioned look and feel of he ride added to this effect. Then it was up and down a couple of bumps, another scary turn then another couple of bumps. Predictably Ed loved it - his first ever proper rollercoaster ride. Hoefully he will now go on things elsewhere. We got off and whilst I was looking at the photo he raced off to go round again on his own. This set the pattern for the next hour or so - Ed and Tash racing from exit to entrance to ride again and again. They certainly got value for money from the wristbands. I dipped in occasionally with a ride but had a go on a few other things too. The dodgems were ok, but not very fast and there was a central island which prevented the narrow turns and general chaos that you can get in the UK.

    I went on the Hir Raiser, which was a classic drop ride, but very high. It simply went up, got to the top and dropped down again. It was higher thn the ones I've been on in the UK, the drop was much longer and faster and you couldn't tell when you were at the top to know when it would drop. I was right out of the seat on the drop and it actually bashed my legs on the harness. More extreme than the Skytower jump, though without the initial need to step off yourself. I had a look at what I thought might be an old fashioned fun house, but it was actually just a play barn style collection of slides. It started to raim and whilst the rides carried on, the kids decided to come on the dodgems with me. Ed went in with Tash as again he was too scared to drive himself. a first for me on this ride - it had to be abandoned because the dodgems got stuck. Because of that middle island a line of them *I was on the inside) got wedged and just couldn't move and the ones running in from behind made no impact. The ride was stopped and the dodgems manually reset.

    Next ride Ed came in with me and drove it himself, then, of course, he was off on his own. We had a few more rotations on the dodgems before Ed went back on the Wild Mouse. I had earlier tried to go on the Rotor, but it was temporarily shut, so I went back to see with Tash. It was working so on I went (Tash watched from above). This was a ride I remember from Yarmouth, where you enter a big drum, it starts to spin, the floor is dropped away and you stick to the wall with centrifugal force. I'd never dared go on years ago when I was little, so gave it a go now. It wasn't that pleasant, the forces made everything feel very heavy and it made it difficulkt to breathe at times with the pressure on throat and neck. I was also concerned when the floor dropped that I dropped a bit too, but I stabilised till the end of the ride when they slowed it down and let you drop slowly back to the floor. Felt a little dizzy getting off bt not too bad. Don't think I'll be rushing to do it again though.

    Tash wanted to go on the Tango train, a spinning waltzer style machine. She had a go whilst Ed wanted to try a basketball sideshwo ame. We paid $10 for 6 balls. The more through the hoop the bigger prize. Ed missed with the first 4 then nailed the 5th, then bounced the last of the rim of one hoop but it looped up and fell straight through the other hoop - crazy trick shot. Due to luggage constraints we had to go for 2 smaller prixes - Angry Bird cuddly cup holders!

    Ed then slightly nervously went with Tash on the Tango train once again loving it. They proceeded to ride 3 or 4 times until the park closing time at 6pm. We got the ferry back, returned to the hotel and Tash ordered us some room service, very tasty it was too. Before it arrived we went up tot eh next floor tot eh pool and observation deck for a quick dip. There was also a spa pool and a sauna and we gave them all a try. The kids enjoyed jumping into the pool and the views over the harbour and city made it a spectacular location.
    Read more