Satellite
  • Day 7

    West Coast of Oahu

    May 4, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 23 °C

    Our plan, to start the day was to attend a big swap meet at the Aloha Stadium near the airport. We thought it was on until three but unfortunately it ended at noon this time because of another event happening in the stadium. We didn't think 15 mins would be enough to see much so we decided not to go inside.

    Instead, we continued west to the coast to check out the beaches there. We arrived to find it very windy. We walked along a paved walkway that connects four, man made lagoons. The first is a public beach and the others belong to resorts, including Disney. Each is a very nice, sheltered beach. Perfect for families with young kids. Not really what we were looking for.

    We drove from this resort area on the west coast back to Waikiki beach. We rented a surfboard to share. Good deal at $10/hr. The waves weren't the best but Aaron and Emma were both able to catch a few waves on the board. It was cloudy, which was perfect for us, with our burns from two days ago.

    This being our last night in Hawaii, we decided to go out for dinner. We decided on the Cheeseburger Waikiki. I had cod dipped in Hawaiian beer batter and fries, Aaron had a veggie burger, Jaden and Emma had beef burgers and Laura had an avocado, watermelon, tomato salad. All very good.

    We then walked to the beach and along the waterfront to catch an Hawaiian sunset. As a bonus, we saw a monk seal sleeping on the beach. Walking back we had a chance encounter with a street market. Lots of vendors and entertainment with the street closed to vehicle traffic. We all enjoyed that and stopped at the Haagen Daas for ice creams before walking back to the condo. That was almost a 6 K walk!
    Read more