Satellite
  • Day 22

    Blossoming Washington DC!

    April 11, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    We didn’t rush to leave but left about 9am. The roads were busy but fine and as always Craig was amazing in the car – love him so!! We arrived around 12pm and parked in front of the Madison Hotel and walked our bags down to our hotel – The Architect. We couldn’t check in but left, got petrol and then returned our car to the Renaissance hotel – which was a little tricky to find but okay. We then set out for a long and wonderful walk. We are located in the financial district, which is very close to the White House We walked down and saw many amazing, large impressive buildings including the Eisenhower and walked through the Ellipse section of parklands near to the very tall Washington Monument. More walking took us to the Memorial fountain area, which leads to the Reflection Pool (as in Forrest Gump!!) which was very moving and leads up to the Lincoln Memorial. We then walked by the District of Columbia War Memorial, which looks like a little Roman temple. We found the Martin Luther King Statue, which is quite remarkable – I loved it and it is a suitable tribute to this significant man. Then our hearts were joyous – the Washington cherry blossom trees are in full, gorgeous bloom and absolutely looked fantastic. One for the bucket list. It was a long walk home but Washington is a well laid out, clean city with many buildings on a massive scale.

    After a much-needed rest, we walked out for dinner at a nearby restaurant called GEORGIA BROWNE’S. I had a yummy Catfish Caesar Salad – suitably spicy and Craig enjoyed his pork chop! I also enjoyed my blueberry Mojito. Great day again!
    Read more