Satellite
  • Day 41

    Guimaras village day 4

    April 26, 2018 on the Philippines ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Woke up at 7am and had breakfast. Back to the hospital today and it was a bit of a slow day unfortunately. We thought we were going to get the opportunity to see a chest drain insertion but after a lengthy discussion the patient’s parents refused to consent. Having seen the X-ray, I’m not sure the patient will do very well without a drain but there’s nothing you can do if a patient says no. Unfortunately their reason for declining was a financial one which is really sad to see. We went to the delivery room in the hope of seeing a baby but the woman was only 8cm and we were leaving soon. We got picked up at 11.45am and found Joy outside waiting for us. She had come over to do my debrief with me as she won’t be there on Saturday when I leave. Had to answer a few questions about how I had found my experience and what I had learnt and it was all recorded so that they can use snippets of what you say for their advertisements. After this we waited around for a while as one of the cousins who has a trike hadn’t arrived and we needed them to take everyone to the afternoon activity.
    At around 3pm we headed off for the wind farm. It was about an hour away by trike and was a bit of a bumpy ride. Eventually we got to the wind farm to find that that’s all it was. We think the locals must be more excited by it than us because it’s cool and new whereas we see wind turbines all the time at home. Even though we weren’t that interested in the wind farm itself, the views around it were stunning. The girls from the family were all busy taking lots of perspective pictures while Lisa and I just wandered around looking at the scenery. We got a bit bored after a while and wondered why we weren’t leaving yet but were told that Papa Doy’s trike had a puncture and so they had to go into the nearest village to try and get it fixed. This meant we had to wait around for a while for them to pick us up again but we had data and so didn’t mind too much as we could catch up after a few days of limited contact with the outside world.
    We eventually got picked up and went back to the house in the repaired trike. Made it back just before dark. We then had to wait a while for dinner as Sherilyn and Leslie had been out with us and so hadn’t started the cooking. We offered to help them but they were having non of it! Sat and ate with most of the family and 2 of Mama Lucy’s work colleagues who were very interested to hear everything about where we were from. We had mango float for dessert which is definitely my new favourite thing. We sometimes had it at the Iloilo house too on bbq night. It’s graham crackers with layers of mango between them, with a combination of cream and evaporated milk poured over it. Soooo tasty! Lisa and I were both very tired by this point and so excused ourselves when we could and had showers then went to bed.
    Read more