Satellite
  • Day 3

    Day 3: Unwinding and Settling In

    February 18, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    After yesterday's big move, we decided that we'd have a relaxed day today and just explore things at our own pace. We've got a week here in Seville so we're not in a major hurry to see the main tourist sights just yet. First order of the day was waiting for the supermarket to open so that we could buy some supplies - eventually it opened at 9am and we wandered over. Spent about 20 euros on a couple of baguettes, some beers, a bottle of wine, pasta and sauce, milk, spiced ham and a 2L coke. All the key food groups. Also grabbed some breakfast pastries as the city was starting to wake up.

    After breakfast we went out for a walk with Schnitzel, with no real destination in mind. We just wandered around, marvelling at the buildings and the ambience. There are a lot of tourists here but it doesn't feel particularly touristy, if that makes sense, it still feels reasonably like a functioning city. And although we're staying in the older area of the city, they don't seem to be super strict about preserving it. There aren't any garish modern buildings, thankfully, but the newer buildings are built to match the style of existing ones. So it's difficult to tell if a building is several hundred years old, or just several years old!

    Had lunch at a tapas place we'd been recommended by a friend of Shandos's - excellent food! I had pork cheek in gravy topped with a bit of cheese sauce, while Shandos had pork ribs. We both ordered the "media" size which is medium, but had plenty to eat! And of course the obligatory glass of sangria on the side. Schnitzel was a bit bored by now and started to bark (though it was a very difficult environment for him - wheely suitcases on cobblestones, horses, and dogs walking past), so we beat a hasty retreat.

    I stopped by a Vodafone outlet and picked up a Spanish SIM card so that I can keep using my phone while out and about, then we headed back to the apartment. Shandos took the opportunity to have a siesta, while I did some writing, played a few games and listened to music.

    By the time Shandos resurfaced it was 8pm, so we freshened up and headed back out. A little more wandering before we settled on a cervezeria (pub) a block or so away from our hotel. I had a red wine and Shandos a white, and we shared a tapas plate of stewed meatballs while sitting outside next to a fireplace and watching the locals go about their Saturday nights. Once you get used to eating later, it's a pretty comfortable way of existing!
    Read more