Satellite
  • Day 96

    Day 96: Exploring Bath

    May 22, 2017 in England ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Up early today as we wanted to have a good look around this UNESCO listed town. First stop was of course the Roman Baths, since Bath is a very popular spot for day-trips from London, and the earlier you get to the baths, the better. We arrived just after opening and thankfully there weren't many people inside. Did some filming and enjoyed the museum as well. Was interesting to see the history as well, since the hot springs were utilised by 17th and 18th century aristocrats as well.

    Decided to splurge for lunch and had high tea in the fancy restaurant attached to the baths - 25 pounds each but very tasty and definitely worth it!

    After lunch we wandered around the town, checking out various bits of architecture and things to note. The world heritage listing actually covers the entire town, not just the Roman baths, because of the Georgian buildings and town planning styles in evidence. We couldn't see a huge amount of the latter, but definitely a lot of the former! It's very beautiful as well, because almost all the buildings are built with local sandstone, a gorgeous sandy white colour, and with the same large white windows and dark grey slate roofs. Reminded me a lot of Paris, though this style actually pre-dates modern Paris (which was mostly rebuilt after the revolutions in the early 19th century).

    Sat in a park for a while to enjoy the warm sunshine (this sounds ridiculous but 25 degrees does actually feel very warm!), then walked back up the hill to our apartment. Picked up Schnitzel and drove to another nearby park overlooking the town where we filmed a little more while letting him run around. Lots of people out enjoying the sunshine and he was getting lots of attention as usual!

    Back to the apartment where we stayed in for a late, light and cheap dinner of chicken salad after our large, heavy and expensive lunch!
    Read more