Satellite
  • Day 5

    Statue of Liberty

    October 23, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    The only World Heritage site in New York! We'd pre-booked tickets which was a good idea, because while we were waiting for the security screening at 11am, someone was announcing that the current wait for tickets was two hours!! No thanks.

    The ferry ride out takes about 20 minutes, and you then spend about 45 minutes walking around the island taking in the sculpture. Lots of cool details to note like the way she's actually walking forward and so on. We had pedestal tickets too, which allowed us to climb up to the top of the stone pedestal, right at the base of where the sculpture begins.

    Was a slightly challenging video because of the crowds and the wind, but we managed. Back on the ferry we headed to Ellis Island, which is where migrants to America traditionally arrived, prior to the jet age anyway. It must've been an incredible sight after six weeks at sea in awful conditions, to see the Statue of Liberty and then the skyline of Manhattan - even back then it would've been impressive. The immigration museum there was impressive, though we had to skim through as we had another appointment!

    Ferry back to Battery Park and then a subway up to Mid-town, where we had 4pm tickets for the Top of the Rock, the observation deck at the top of the Rockefeller Centre. It's not the highest point in the city, but it's close, and most people say it's better than the Empire State view points (because the Empire State Building is much more interesting visually, and you obviously can't see it while you're atop it!). Great views in every direction although it had clouded over a bit sadly. Also a few sprinkles of rain while we were up there!

    Tired, we headed home where we were greeted by two very happy dogs.
    Read more