Satellite
  • Day 10

    Monticello

    October 28, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Third and final World Heritage site here in the north-east. Packed up and headed off, but had a disaster getting out of Washington. The airport where we were picking up our rental car is miles out of town and not very well connected, so we got a train into the city and waited for a bus. And waited. And waited. Eventually someone else waiting called up and was told that the airport bus was leaving from a totally different place on the other end of the city, because there was a marathon event happening (it was a Sunday morning, after all).

    So we traipsed over there, eventually managed to find the bus stop and waited again. Still no bus. Eventually we got a Lyft (similar to Uber) out to the airport, which again took ages because of traffic from the marathon. Shared our ride with a Korean guy who was trying to get to the airport as well, so thankfully the cost wasn't too bad. And the driver was a lot of fun too - very chatty guy.

    Made it to the airport with one minute to spare - original plan had us arriving at 9:30 for a 10am car pickup. We made it at 10:59! Usually if you don't arrive within an hour (and you're not on a delayed flight), they call it a no-show and you have to rebook at the day rate which would be way more expensive.

    Finally with our car, we drove south west into Virginia towards Monticello, the plantation home of Thomas Jefferson. He was probably the most important or second-most important of the founding fathers, as he wrote the Declaration of Independence, and while President he organised the Louisiana Purchase which essentially doubled the US's territory. Was interesting to see his home which he'd designed personally, though again we were a bit rushed for time because we were so late getting out there.

    We also stopped by the University of Virginia which Jefferson had also founded, believing that education was the key to a democratic society. He was probably right, given what we see these days!

    Drove back to Washington DC where we had a Motel 6 booked about 20 minutes from the airport. Early flight tomorrow so it'll be an early start!
    Read more