Satellite
  • Day 1

    Dos

    May 31, 2016 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    The reason our flight was so reasonable is because it's Costa Rica's rainy season. We were hoping to use this break to get sun and relax (with a sprinkle of adventure) but the forecast says it'll storm all day...every day.

    We were pretty discouraged, thinking we had made a big mistake, but I remembered when I studied here 10 years ago. It was the rainy season then and I still saw a lot of sun. Essentially, it rains for a few hours every afternoon, but get your nature in early and it's not a problem. In fact, this time of year means fewer tourists, and cheaper prices.

    This morning we took a three hour bus ride from San Jose to Quepos. It was more comfortable than we expected, and we stopped half-way for snacks and bathroom. We took the opportunity to grab food and water - both of which we hadn't had since we were on the plane 18 hours before! It was delicious!

    We're staying at Pura Vida Hostel for three nights. It costs $20 a night for a private room and shared bathroom. The other guests are fellow trekkers on a budget. We all went to the local grocery and cooked dinner. Most are from Europe and two of them just finished medical school in England. We played the Bullshit card game, and my highlight of the evening was the comment, "Leave it up to an American to call bullshit on an English King!".
    Read more