Satellite
  • Day 539

    Lipsoi

    October 6, 2018 in Greece ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    Us again, we had a long but pleasant cruise from Kos up the East coast of Kalymnos to Leros where we anchored off Alinda (where the allied cemetery was that we visited before). That evening Steven and Susan came to see us, they had the Nauticat anchored alongside us. Bizarrely they recognised Take Five, they had almost bought her a year before John did but after shaking hands on the deal the seller changed his mind. They had a mooch and you could tell Steven was still really taken with her, he even commented about all the Greek fishermen who had made a detour to come past the boat so they could get a better look. John did tell Steven that for £150,000 Take Five was for sale and they know where we will be for the winter so you never know.
    The next morning we headed out of the bay only to notice a fishing boat waving at us. We then noticed some floating rope that we were about to pass over, about 200m marked with only a large round bobber at mid point. We passed over it OK in neutral then realised that this floating rope was attached to a net with little floats that was running across the bay, we then saw the other piece of floating rope, well the bobber, off the other side!! So to get out of the bay we had to cross the floating rope again and then keep close into a reef on the side of the bay until we were clear of the net. Surely that can’t be legal, I expect some of the other yachts might have caught it, as unusually we were first up and out that morning.
    But anyway we headed up to Lipsoi only 9 miles but winds were getting up and waves were building. Our anchorage here off Katsadia beach is pretty and yesterday we wandered into town Lipsi, for a look around, everywhere is white with blue trim, and there are lots of churches here as well. We had our most delicious Greek meal so far here at Manolis, apparently the building is Greek ‘listed’ and has played significant part in Lipsois history.
    Someone told us that if a Greek person builds a church the government has to supply it with water, so lots of people build churches before their homes so water is already put in. Don’t know if that’s true.
    We have been here a few days now as there is another blow but should be headed a short way north to Arki tomorrow before going to Samos. That’s probably as far north as we will go before returning SW towards the Greek mainland obviously it directly but via lots of shorter trips.
    Read more