• Day88

    Trip Home

    March 29 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 0 °C

    Here is a timeline of our trip home.

    7:00 a.m. We woke and saw a mess that a badger had made while digging for tasty lizards.
    7:30 a.m. The power went out, no water and no internet. Oh, I guess that that had to happen one more time. Luckily we had some yogurt and granola left and a tangerine. Coffee was made at 7 a.m. so we already had our caffeine fix.
    8:30 a.m. Sara, the housekeeper arrived. Hard to do laundry with no electricity. The pool guys were on their way to vacuum but that wouldn’t be possible.
    8:45 a.m. We left the house. Chris had already washed the rental car and we had to stop to fill up before returning it.
    9:00 We picked up 2 salami and mozzarella sandwiches for the flight that we had preordered at Delizia, the Italian deli in Troncones.
    9:15 Chris topped up the gas in the car.
    9:30 Oh, oh. The highway was blocked with teacher protesters. They were protesting having 120 kids and only 4 teachers. Thank heavens the road was blocked for 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. There is no other road to the airport.
    10:00 Chris dropped me and luggage off at the airport while he returned the car to Johnie Cash
    10:15 We got our boarding passes and a coffee and settled in to wait a bit. We had filled out all the necessary paperwork beforehand and only had our carryon so we were in good shape.
    12: 30 Right on time, we boarded the plane
    12:50 We took off in a little 100 seater United plane and flew to Houston. The flight lasted 2 hr 30 minutes

    4:29 Houston (1 hour ahead) We had a long walk from where we arrived and to the gate that we were leaving from! For some reason, everyone had to get a new boarding pass because the passes had to say ‘Travel Ready’ on them. We had that done before a long line of people arrived to get new passes.
    6 pm We boarded plane with our bags. No issues. The plane was full.
    6:23 We took off, right on time? The flight lasted 3 hr 14 minutes
    10:37 p.m. Arrived in Toronto, about 10 minutes early (another hour ahead).

    We zipped through immigration and were lucky not to have a random Covid test done. Red Car was waiting for us. We were the only people in the van and had a great conversation with the driver who lived in Elora.

    We were at the condo shortly after midnight, safe and sound. A neighbour had bought us a few things for breakfast and had put the heat and water on. We are so spoiled…
    Read more