Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Skipton

    February 24, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    Today was the day Sarah redeemed one of her Christmas presents from Andrew; a day trip on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Since Christmas we have also booked a week long canal boat holiday on the Llangollen Canal in April so today was also a bit of a practice.

    We arrived in Skipton at around 09:00 and thanks to the efficient staff at the hire base we were aboard our boat, Jim, a few minutes later. We had detailed instructions on everything from engine controls and bilge pump operation to steering and clearing the propeller. Shortly after we were off!

    Andrew took the helm first, navigating roughly westwards, towards Gargrave. Very quickly we came across our first swing bridge, a semi-automatic bridge with electric barriers and hydraulic locking mechanism. The bridge still needs to be moved manually. Sarah bravely operated this bridge and stopped a few cars with the power of a key! We were off to a good start with confidence growing rapidly. Perhaps a little prematurely. The next swing bridge was a fully manual foot bridge. No amount of shoving from either of us could shift it and the numerous runners crossing the bridge were no help whatsoever. We were about to give up and go another route when a very kind couple, and their dog, helped Sarah open it with plenty of pushing and bouncing.

    After a spell of open water our third bridge loomed, once again Sarah was opener, with the help of a passing dog walker. Onwards past lots of moored boats, at a slow walking pace, before a nice long stretch of clear canal. We swapped drivers and Sarah had a go at the tiller in clear water. We both found driving in a straight line challenging but we eventually got the hang of it. We pulled into the side for a cup of tea, only to run aground next to the bank. A shove with the pole got us afloat before we found deeper water in which to moor up, just before the next bridge. After tea Andrew jumped ashore and eventually managed to open the bridge and Sarah drove through. The same was repeated for the fifth bridge, this time with relative ease.

    We pressed on just below lock 30 just outside Gargrave. As day hire boaters we were not permitted to use any locks. We moored using mooring pins (long metal spikes driven into the ground with a heavy mallet) and ate lunch. After a quick look at the lock (on foot) we winded the boat (easily, thanks to its size) and headed back towards Skipton.

    The wind picked up at this point and we both found steering more difficult. Pushing off from the bank was especially difficult. The bridges all presented their own challenges, especially the penultimate footbridge. Despite lots of pushing, bouncing and wishful thinking Andrew couldn’t budge it. The task was made more difficult by the number of pedestrians who proceeded onto the bridge despite seeing a boater trying to open it. Thankfully an Australian gentleman stopped to help and with lots of pushing and bouncing the bridge was moved clear. Sarah skilfully manoeuvred the boat through. One bridge to go - the semi-automatic one. This time Andrew had the power of the key!

    After re-joining the boat Andrew took over driving the short distance back to the hire base. Following instructions from the staff, both hand signals and verbal, the boat was parallel parked! We disembarked, set off home and reflected on our experience.

    We both thoroughly enjoyed our day, especially looking at the different boats we passed and taking in the lovely countryside, and we learned an awful lot. We feel set up ready for our holiday in April and thankful that all the bridges on the Llangollen are lift bridges (we think)!
    Read more