Satellite
  • Day 186

    Coastal remoteness

    March 3, 2018 in Oman

    Oman has an almost endless coastline, more than 3000(!)km, and there are just 4 million people living in this country. Not surprisingly, we encountered only very few people and cars, most of them fishermen or fishermen in their pickups with huge ice boxes full of fish on their truck beds.

    Fishing is an important income source for the Omanis, they fish with bow nets and small boats along the coast or traditional dhows a bit further out. We've heard that the fishing grounds are rich and the way they fish is still away from industrial exploitation. Fingers crossed that industrial fishery doesn't take over. But we've passed a few construction sites around Al Duqm where a large fishing port and infrastructure is being built...

    And in a newly opened museum in the Mirbat fort we recently learned that Oman is still catching sharks for their fins. 'The demand from Far East is increasing' it says. Cruel.

    It's been getting hot and hotter these days so we've celebrated every tree or shelter that would give some shade with a nourishing break (we've started cooking pancakes from mashed bananas, eggs and oats, cinnamon and peanut butter on top, yummy!) underneath. Otherwise, a jump into the crystal clear waters is the only way to cool down (a bit).
    Read more