Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 67

    Drake Passage: Crossing South

    16 Februari 2023, South Atlantic Ocean

    Having been to Antarctica twice, we’ve had the “pleasure” of crossing the Drake three times. Not four, because our 2015 expedition was one-way from the tip of Argentina to New Zealand by way of the Ross Sea.

    The first time was not the typical Ushuaia to the Antarctic Peninsula crossing as we went to the Falkland Islands first and then down to South Georgia before crossing to the South Shetlands from there. It was a “Drake Lake” type of crossing. On the way north from the Peninsula to Ushuaia, however … well, it was a doozy of a crossing … a “Drake Shake” with 40 foot waves.

    Thus, while many might not agree, I would categorize today’s crossing very close to a “Drake Lake” experience.

    Not that it wasn’t rough — very rough — when we left the Beagle Channel behind. In fact, my sleep-fuzzy mind thought that we must already be in the Drake Passage. By all accounts, however, that wasn’t due to happen until around 6:00a. If that was indeed the case, the ship’s movements had moderated considerably by then. Still noticeable with 12-13 foot swells, but nothing like what it was in the wee hours of the morning while we were still in the Pacific Ocean.

    So what is this Drake Passage and why is it known for having some of the roughest seas in the world?

    The passage lies between the tip of Cape Horn in South America in the north and the Shetland Islands in the south. Back in the day, seafarers called this region, which includes the passage, the “furious 50s and screaming 60s.” But let me also give you the actual Wikipedia explanation … “it connects the southwestern part of the Atlantic Ocean (Scotia Sea) with the southeastern part of the Pacific Ocean, and extends into the Southern Ocean. … Currents at its latitude meet no resistance from any landmass, and waves top 40 feet, hence its reputation as “the most powerful convergence of seas.”

    The weather itself wasn’t as cold as I expected it to be. Though not warm enough to sit out on deck — not with the winds blowing as they were. The early morning overcast broke apart for a considerable part of the day. We even had sunshine this morning … and I actually caught Marina spotlighted by the ethereal rays of the sun as it hurried past us around 6:30a. Of course, bigger ship … more powerful engines.

    A great start to our Antarctic “expedition by cruise ship
    Baca lagi