Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Campsite Day 1

    April 8, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Post-Lunch, we made surprisingly good time according to our guide. Despite this, the ascents still remained a challenge. The terrain is uneven and the steps very in size and security, all of which adds to the physical challenge of climbing at altitude.

    We were treated to a wonderful show from a hummingbird at very close range, sadly we were too slow and too engrossed to get to the camera.

    The final push to the campsite was a steep one - through the Wallabamba checkpoint and up once again to campsite 18. Our arrival was greeted with applause from the porters who had, in the time that we had simply walked from lunch to here, dismantled the lunch operation, packed it, run past us, got to camp and set up our tents and the dining tent...all whilst we were merely trying to hold on to our breath and our legs. They even provided us each with a bowl of warm water in which to wash.

    We had an hour or so before we formally met each of our porters and introduced ourselves before enjoying a brew and some biscuits. The view from the tent and the campsite is awe inspiring; as the sun descended the almost full moon came out over the mountains.

    Shortly, we'll have dinner - another three course extravaganza. We certainly did not expect this level of provision or even luxury on this trek - the porters really are outstanding. We've yet to find out what time we are up tomorrow, other than 'early' - so early in fact that the 7 hour trekking is apparently all to be completed before lunch...yikes. Tomorrow's climb is the killer - steep ascent all morning. I have to admit to being a little nervous...but the way back is almost as bad so, here goes!

    Fitbit total - 25,000 steps and 251 flights of stairs
    Read more