Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Wolseley Bridge

    October 17, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    After our stunted start, we made good progress through the locks south of Stone. Travelling alongside the Trent, we saw masses of Canadian geese, ducks and even alpacas! The friendly swans visited us as we waited for locks to fill. I took over driving for a while, which turned out to be a challenge - my driving was fine but Ben's map reading was so questionable he got off far too early for a lock and ended up having to get back on the boat!

    En route we found a lovely farm shop/cafe just outside of Great Haywood, picking up some lovely bread and cakes for the journey. The rain misted in as we left the farm shop but not enough to hold us back.

    We were aiming for Great/Little Haywood, but decided to push on just little to Wolseley Bridge. A quick wander from the boat revealed a 26 acre wildlife refuge and antiques shops that made planning for tomorrow very simple. Whilst the Indian restaurant and the local pub had no table available for us to eat at, we had a few pints at the Wolseley Arms before eating some of our recently purchased baked goods on the boat (after a quick stop at Londis for playing cards that we obviously forgot - standard). Given the local amenities, and the tiredness of end of term, we had an early night in anticipation of the onward journey.
    Read more