Satellite
  • Day 38

    Twillingate

    August 19, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 0 °C

    We divided up the drive over to Twillingate with a one night stay in Port au Choix. A nice fishing town. We stayed over a bakery. The smell was delicious. We walked over to the water. I love how the fishing boats are docked each night - you can tell a lot about the fisher folk who sail them. Some are tidy, scrubbed clean while others were filled with junk. All of them were rusty. These are some old boats.

    We got into Twillingate to our unbelievable deck and living room with a spectacular view of the bay over from the main part of town. We had three leisurely nights to spend here. Each morning we had our breakfast out on the deck and evenings too. It was nice to have a full kitchen, clean running water, along with the perfect location.

    Twillingate in particular being right out on the edge of the peninsula on Newfoundland has become quite popular with tourists. Everyone said to get out to the lighthouse for a hike. We weren’t sure it was going to be one of those crowded bus tour spot - which it is - but they only get out of the bus, take their photos and leave. We took the hike down, down, down from the lighthouse to the craggy rocks and cliffs below for some incredible views and swirling waves. There is a nice quiet beach where we had our lunch and climbed back up to the top.

    Twillingate is proud of its history. They had a pretty nice museum displaying items from the locals’ families that have been here for decades. We also took in a night of traditional Newfoundland music - think Irish, British and hard fishing stories. The guy also “Screeched In” three brave tourists. Being Screeched In is how you can become a bonafide Newfoundlander. You say some baudy statements about willingness to live by the Newfoundland code, kiss a cod (frozen, thankfully), and down a shot of really bad rum. Entertaining for sure.

    What’s nice about hiking, at least most of the places we have gone, it that they have boardwalks and stairs everywhere.
    Read more