Satellite
  • Day 37

    The Camaleño Cable Car

    November 8, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    We survived the night, there was no snowfall and even though we had the electric heater on it only got down to 7°c outside and 16°c inside so the heater didn’t even kick in.
    We left our beautiful camp spot at 9:30am and headed for the cable car in Camaleño. The drive took us down the most beautiful roads and we kept stopping to take photos because the scenery was so spectacular, and the 2 hour drive turned into a 4 hour drive. But that reminded us, it’s not always the destination that matters, sometimes it’s the journey.
    We got to the cable cars around 1:30pm, had a bite to eat in the coffee shop and then bought our round trip tickets for €17 euro each. The cable car ride was incredibly fast. Just 5 minutes to get to the top and it’s the longest single cable car in Europe.
    Getting to the top we were shrouded in cloud and at first couldn’t see anything at all. There was an icy wind aswell which made us think why did we come up here, but then the cloud shifted and the tallest peaks came into view and the sun came out for a few minutes. Whilst trying to get a better view from the edge of the mountain Ellie went down into some deep snow and got a shoe full of water which annoyed her, so almost straight away we came back down before she got frostbite.
    Back in Wanda we replotted our course while Ellie changed her socks and shoved her single wet shoe under the blowers in the front and then we set off. Another 80 miles of driving to get to our camp spot for the night in a free airè outside Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabárceno so tonight we have a lake view on one side and elephants and buffalo on the other side.
    All for free.
    Read more