Satellite
  • Isla de Pascua

    June 12, 2018 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Day 5, Part 3 Tues. June 12 Easter Island
    Our afternoon tour: We first visited the Ahu Akivi, a platform made up of seven almost uniform Moais (representing harmony and balance) – these are the only Moais on the island that face the sea. Statues typically face the villages to watch over the village and provide stability and economic abundance. They have a mystical power to protect the village. Statues were placed at least 150 years before Europeans arrived. It is also famous for its astronomical orientation (they look at the point where sun sets during spring equinox and backs face sun at dawn of autumn equinox). In the back is a crematorium. The current myth is that the 7 represent the explorers sent by 1st king Hotu Matu’a from their home island of Hiva and face the ocean, awaiting the king’s arrival. A legend says that Hau Maka, the priest of Hotu Matu’a had a dream in which his soul flew across the ocean when he sighted the island and foretold of their homeland being destroyed by a tsunami.
    Next we visited Huri a Urenga, the Moai with 2 pairs of hands. There are more astronomical findings here, looking at where the sun rises during winter solstice. Finally, we visited Puna Pau, a quarry (and extinct volcano) where the Pukao where carved (Pukao is also known as the typical hairstyle or the hats of the Moais). The stone is red scoria, volcanic ash of extreme porosity and not very hard.
    That night I asked receptionist Hector for a dinner: another ocean/sunset facing restaurant. This also was a top notch restaurant. Hector had recommended “cerviche rapa nui” which looked raw and was. I chose shrimp with tubers. IT was delicious. I then went to end of the pier to watch the surfer and the very cloudy sunset.
    Pictures: 1-2-explanations 3-5-ahu Akivi and size perspective
    Read more