Satellite
  • Day 3

    Day 3a-Sat, mar 23

    March 23, 2019 in DR Congo ⋅ 🌧 30 °C

    1. Rach and I got up and went off to feed Dana (Rachel’s high school friend and bridesmaid) and Henry’s 4 chickens and see their home. Rach fed the cat and retrieved 3 eggs from the coop. When we got back to the apt, Nick made a brunch of bacon and omelets and toast. We were a little behind schedule at this point because we were supposed to meet Miriam downtown Denver at 2 but we let her know and it all worked out.
    2. We set off for downtown and traffic was very congested for, in my mind, a Saturday afternoon trip into the city. We weren’t really sure where the place was that we were to meet Miriam so we had to call her. We finally met on a corner near the Cambodian art exhibit she wanted to see. [Miriam was in town for the Association of Asian Studies conference of Asian; she presented at the conference. She also had seen the kids on Wed. night, probably in town since she didn’t have wheels.] The art exhibit was quite interesting and sorta like a collage. There were only about 10-12 items and they were like a story board, depicting many things, much having to do with the Khmer Rouge genocide.
    3. After that we drove a few blocks away to just outside Coors baseball stadium on Blake Street. We then (all 4 of us) walked over to the 16th Street 1 mile pedestrian mall (i.e., the street is blocked off to traffic, except for free shuttle bus up and down the street). While it had potential to have a lot of interesting, touristy shops, it seemed like it was mostly chain type stores. At the end, we stopped at a Starbucks to rest our feet and try to get warmish. Our meter was running out (only 2 hours allowed) and we wanted to get to the Blake Street Tavern to meet up with the MSU alumni club to watch the game.
    4. Luckily, we were able to find free parking right in front of the Tavern. While it isn’t the office MSU bar, the alumni club comes here often (I am a lifetime member of MSU Alumni Assoc.). (Blake Street Tavern, about 1 long block from Coors Stadium, hosts alumni events for MSU, ASU, IU, Creighton, NW, Notre Dame, UCF, UD, USC, Wichita State. Also: Redskins, Patriots, and Seahawks.)We were too late to get into the large room where they were unless we’d be willing to stand but got put into the MSU overflow room and quickly got a great table.
    5. The kids got drinks and we 1st ordered a large pretzel appetizer. Then R and I split a reuben with some kind of chili verde fries and Nick got his own Reuben. We hooted and groaned with everybody and left as soon as game was over.
    Pix: 1-4 Blake Street Tavern
    Read more