Satellite
  • Day 259

    Cusco to Lima

    September 12, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    I usually always tried to find the cheapest bus even if that meant getting less quality. But I had promised myself for my last bus ride in South America, which would also be my longest, I would treat myself to something special: Cruz del Sur. Supposedly it's like flying business class. I was always joking around with other low budget travelers that it might just be a myth and it's not actually any different inside. But now I'm about to get to see if it stands up to its reputation.
    This is gonna be a "live post" as I'm writing while I'm actually sitting in the waiting area waiting to board the bus.
    First impressions is definitely positive. Even the terminal is a lot more fancy to what I'm used to. It's clean and has a free toilet (no paper though). And it's so quiet. But obviously also the clientele is different. I'm used to being the only foreigner on a bus. When I look around me now I see more fellow travelers than locals.
    Boarding started 20 minutes before departure. Everybody had to show ticket and passport and they even checked us and our luggage with some kind of detector (even though I don't think it was really thoroughly).
    I'm on the bus now and I'm superexcited. On my seat awaited me a blanket and a pillow. The seat itself is comfy but doesn't recline more than the ones I had on cheap busses in Bolivia. But it's definitely a lot cleaner and feels more secure. Secure in the sense that there are no cracks in the windshield and the backrest doesn't feel like it might crack if I adjust it.
    But also in the sense of safety of my stuff. Usually I'm really careful with my stuff on night busses and I'm not sure if I should behave different now? Can I leave my bag on the floor or do I keep it on my lap as usual? I mean the only times things got stolen from me so far were always in hostels by fellow travelers (money from my room, food or drinks from the kitchen).
    We left the terminal at 2:03pm which I would call on time for South America 😉
    When I just turned on the screen in front of me the first thing they showed was a information video about Cruz del Sur including some security advice. I really feel like on a plane. The headphones provided are bad quality but the system also works with mine so I'm fine.
    I can choose between over 25 movies, kids program with more movies and games or books. Books? It's one audio book but the others are really meant to be read on screen.
    I managed to get my favorite front row seat with panoramic window again. Now I can't decide if I wanna watch a movie or the landscape ☺
    Decided for a movie first. It even came with English subtitles! Even though I'm getting food (dinner & breakfast) I bought some snacks earlier. So I just watched a movie with a bag of chips while driving through the Andes. Nice.
    The streets are winding through the mountains so I was a little worried how to eat a proper meal on the driving bus. But we got the food when we entered a small town called Abancay where we then even stopped for a few minutes to pick up people. The food was quite ok. Like airplane food.
    I'm not sure if I like the concept to not get of the bus at all. Apparently it emerged in a time when it was more common that busses would get robbed. The promise of Cruz der Sur was to bring you to your destination save and sound without stopping. That's why they don't stop for meals but serve it on the bus and why they have proper toilets. The toilets are surprisingly clean by the way. But on this winding roads it's quite a challenge.
    I'm on my 4th movie by now. More than I have watched in the last months :)
    I fell asleep over that last movie and even though I woke up every now and then and watched the dark street in front of me I managed to catch some proper sleep. I watched another movie over breakfast and arrived to Lima after the promised 20 hours.
    Read more