Satellite
  • Day 20

    Leaving

    November 4, 2019 in Rwanda ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    The day dawned to say our goodbyes, which we weren’t looking forward to, least of all Nathaniel! Zach went off to the medical centre first thing, so we saw him off (Nathaniel would hardly let go of him, and to quote Zach, “It was almost cute”, which is praise indeed from an older brother!)

    The rest of us packed up quite leisurely, enjoyed a last morning at the lovely missions apartments, where Judith and the team had made us feel so very much ‘at home’. It’s hard to imagine a nicer place to leave Zach and although sad not to be coming home altogether, it’s an amazing opportunity for Zach, which he’s very much looking forward to. (By the end of day 1, he has already put in and taken out canulars and administered IV drips....hmmm, I’m pretty sure you need to be a bit more qualified for that in the UK!) We look forward to his ongoing Find penguins to see what else he gets ‘trained’ in (delivering a baby maybe?!).

    For us, it was dear Jose who drove us to Entebbe and although sad to say goodbye, we assured him we’d be back (on Nathaniel’s insistence!) and left him on his long drive back to Kenya. We realised we’d got the flight time wrong by an hour, so far from African timing we were actually 3 hours early for a flight that was then an hour delayed! Not the most exciting airport to spend an afternoon in, but we did enjoy some final Ugandan samosas at the cafeteria before finally taking off sometime after 4pm.

    We were ‘treated’ to 3 flights in 1 for the journey home, which for Matti would just add to the excitement and be worth booking just for the extra time in the air, whereas all I could think was why take 18 hours getting home, when a direct flight would take 8! Decided to embrace the moment though (thanks to my newfound almost enjoyment of flying for the purpose of this trip), and so followed a 36 minute flight to Rwanda, then a brief stop to let more people on, then a 6 and a half hour flight to Doha (slightly cutting it fine for the connection but got there in time in the end), then a final 7 hour stint to Heathrow.

    Now as I write from the air, we are about to start our descent, and have just been told it’s 8 degrees in London, hmmm could be interesting as I’m in a sleeveless summer dress and flip flops, alas with no ugg boots left in the car, which was an oversight. Have twiddled my way through most of my braids now (to keep me calm for take off and landing) so alas the African hair will not last until you get here, Dad. Zeph says it’s more hippie than African style now and to quote him, ‘We’d better just hope we don’t see anyone we know on the boat!’.

    So homeward bound we are and shortly coming in to land, how technology has come on that we can chat from the air!
    Read more