Satellite
  • Day 256

    Cuverville Island

    March 13, 2020 in Antarctica ⋅ 🌧 1 °C

    At 4pm ( still buzzing from the excitement of the breaching humpback outside 502!!) we were one of the first ones to land at Cuverville Island amongst the Gentoo penguin 🐧 colony- we could smell them before we could see them.
    We had an amazing hour walking amongst the cute Gentoo penguins which were super inquisitive. Cones and flags had been put out for us to mark the path through the colony to minimise the disruption that 100 people ashore can cause, however the penguins had absolutely no respect for them whatsoever!!!
    We were taking photos of mature chicks chasing their parents for more food but because the rocks were so slick there was a lot of clumsy falling- it was hilarious to watch and photograph.
    We stood still to take some photos and videos and before we knew it we were being pecked at by v inquisitive/ v cute Gentoo penguins 🐧. K held her camera low to get some angled shots and they really were drawn to the clicking of the shots being taken- she has some cracker photos on her camera.
    Before too long we had to leave the penguin rookery and the iceberg clogged bay that framed the island however we had 4t mins zodiac cruise.
    Once more we cruised amongst the stunning icebergs, sadly there were no more whales but we did come upon the fattest leopard seal ever seen, sleeping on an ice floe. It hardly raises its head as the 2 x zodiacs cruised past numerous times trying to get a shot of its head and face which was easier said than done.
    The ship had moved into the bay filled with little bergs and brash ice which was v picturesque as we drove back to it at 6.30pm to prepare for the on deck BBQ dinner at 7pm. Preparation meant swapping wet weather gear for more warm, dry layers before braving the brisk and damp weather to shiver through our BBQ dinner.
    Sue came and joined us at desert because apparently whoever they were sitting with were having “ end of the world” conversations and she couldn’t cope any more!!
    The glacial scenery was stunning where we were but the serenity was slightly blighted by the pumping disco music being played by the staff!!! There was an atmosphere of a potential foam pool party had it not been 2 degs!!
    The staff were suddenly called away to an urgent meeting and on going downstairs to get a coffee there were obvious rumblings of something afoot.... maybe Sue should have stayed for that end of world conversation after all!!
    We were all called to an urgent briefing at 8pm..... it is Friday 13th after all!!

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuverville_Island

    https://www.ats.aq/devAS/Ats/Guideline/0f0b44b5…
    Read more