Satellite
  • Day 26

    Leaving Santorini

    September 11, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    I woke at 6. 00am and blogged. The streets of Santorini are empty, with the exception of deliveries.

    I hear a loud tinkling sound coming from the street. I rush out onto the balcony, and see 10 loose mules running the streets. They follow one another. People are yelling at them from their shop steps and waving arms. They all turn a corner and disappear.

    Breaky at 8.00am as we have an early transfer at 9.15 to the ferry.

    Last time up on our beautiful rooftop having a massive breakfast.

    2 clean white liners sit below us and I know I will never see a view quite as unbelievable as this one of the Santorini Caldera again in my life.

    The hotel porter drags our bags to the transfer pick up point, at our pool hotel. We share with a couple from Altona Meadows. We all chat, including the driver. (whom when he opened his arms for the luggage, I took it as a cuddle and went in for one, he smiled and hugged me tight)

    The ferry port sits low to the far, far left of Fira.

    I look at postcards by George Meis. I want them all.
    I ended up with a 2020 calendar, for an assortment!

    A man with a Seajets sign for Mykonos begins to shout to us all.

    We all follow him in a mass wave. Never have I seen people drag suitcases as fast, over the cobbles.

    Our ferry backs up and drops it's massive walk planks.
    Hundreds unload and disperse amongst the crowds.

    Then a bloke blows a whistle and we storm the planks like warriors.

    We walk onto the metal into the mouth of a massive creature. You just walk fast and straight. Signs above say 'Luggage'. We quick drop on the shelves available and head upstairs to the lounge.

    We have allocated seat numbers on our tickets, so we squat down in nice comfy seats and the ferry begins to move while people still come up from the hull.

    We sit listening to gossipy Aussie women behind us.
    Read more