Satellite
  • Day 26

    Assisi

    April 26, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Perugia, where we're staying in Umbria, is a mere 25 kms from Assisi, which is the birthplace of St. Francis and home of the Franciscan Order. On Friday, which turned out to be a cold wet day, Brenda and I made our way to Assisi, arriving there after an hour long, milk run bus ride.

    With Easter last weekend, Italian Liberation day on Thursday, and Labour Day coming on May 1, many Italians added extra vacation days between the statutory holidays to have an extended period away from work. Consequently, when we got to Assisi, the crowds were enormous.

    The town was originally founded around the second century BC, but little remains of the structures from that period, other than a Roman amphitheater and the facade of the Temple of Minerva with its six Corinthian columns.

    The main attraction in the town is the Basilica of St. Francis, which is comprised of two churches, an upper and a lower chapel, both of which are magnificent.. In the basement crypt of the lower chapel, the remains of St. Francis are interred. This building probably ranks second only to the Vatican amongst Christianity's most revered places.

    I don't know if it was all the artwork, or the friars giving their lectures, or the throngs of worshippers, or some sacred aura emanating from the tomb, but I couldn't help but feel I was in a very special place. There was simply something in the air that gave me goosebumps, yet also made me feel completely at peace.

    After our visit to the Basilica, Brenda and I headed off to another of Assisi's main attractions, LA Rocca Maggiore, but that will be a tale for another day.
    Read more