Satellite
  • Day 137

    København

    August 22, 2017 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    So across the water we went.. well on a train.. over a bridge and into Denmark!

    To drive the famous Oresund bridge - joining Sweden and Denmark - costs a whopping 35 euros each way. With parking rumoured to cost the same, taking the train was definitely the best option.

    Our primary reason for visiting Denmark was the Carlsberg visitors centre. We are both beer fans but Carlsberg is definitely one of my favourites! There is a free shuttle bus to the visitors centre where your ticket gives entry to the various exhibitions - including a Guinness World Record Breaking collection of unopened beer bottles - and two free beers. We also paid a little extra for a guided tour and our bearded guide was funny and informative. We enjoyed the free beers in beautiful sunshine and spent a good four hours here before heading back to the city.

    Planning to visit Nyhavn - the colourful houses at the port - we were not disappointed. Copenhagen is a really nice city. It feels alive and definitely tops my list of Nordic/Scandinavian cities so far. The spires on the churches are interestingly designed, the body of water running through its centre reminds me of London with ultra modern buildings lined up next to grand old ones, there are canals and waterways everywhere.

    Not to mention the bike traffic - whilst Amsterdam is yet to come - I have never seen so many people using bikes - old and young, in suits, casual wear, dresses and heels and full on lycra kit - I was in heaven. Just a shame that we couldn't join them.

    Thanks to Cormac for the recommendation, we headed to Papireon where we found a super cool street food market. It was packed to the rafters with tourists and locals alike. There were so many amazing foods to choose from but we settled on some falafel pita humus thing. Absolutely delicious and set us up for the stroll back to the train station.

    There are tonnes of things to do in Copenhagen that we lacked both time and money for.

    We'll be back.
    Read more