Satellite
  • Day 179

    Lake Tahoe

    June 13, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    The second deepest lake in the USA, took us 2 days to drive there from Yellowstone, nearly 800 miles and it's cold, Lake Tahoe. The second day of driving was the worst one of our trip, it was really windy and we had to cross the desert. Windy means that we need to accelerate hard even downhill to go to 60miles/hour which means that our Aircon would stop working! It was tough but once we arrived at lake Tahoe it was all worth it.

    The lake itself is really quite pretty, with different shades of blues and greens. It is surrounded by mountains and we hadn't realised how high it was, at 1900m in winter it becomes a ski resort. Despite the skis being packed away and the Jetski coming out the cold was a constant reminder of our altitude, dropping to below 0 at night (no electricity in our campsite, so no comfort heater!) The town in South Lake Tahoe straddles the border of California and Nevada and the dividing line was quite obvious, large casino hotels on one side, and bicycle lanes on the other.

    We had a nice time at lake Tahoe, walking in the town and chilling by the lake, but mostly we were recharging our batteries, for the next step of our trip!
    Read more