Satellite
  • Day 184

    San Francisco

    June 18, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair 🎶
    After a long time in small cities, we almost dread to stay in a big city for a few days, however we fell for San Francisco. It was maybe the famous art deco bridge with stunning sunshine, the blooming flowers on the streets, the cute seals and sea lions warming up on the docks or the street festivals we stumbled on to, without even looking for them, with live music and a chill atmosphere, or maybe a combination of it all that made us appreciate this big city.

    We started on the North Shore at the Muir Woods, a redwood forest with some of the tallest trees in the world to make you feel very small, then took a scenic drive to one of the oldest bay lighthouses with fantastic views of the city and the famous bridge. We paid our toll and drove across accompanied by Armelles fantastic singing.

    The next day we hit the classic tourist spots, the winding steep Lombard Street, the charms and wildlife of Pier 39, the fearsome jailhouse Alcatraz and took in the smells and sounds of the ChinaTown and little Italy districts.
    Our second day was a sunny Sunday so we walked around Golden Gate Park, a huge park where everyone can find their liking: BBQ for birthdays, cycling on the no car roads, walking dogs, enjoy some art in the museum, play with remote control boats on the lakes, there was even a polo field but it wasn't used. We just walked it all and enjoyed the atmosphere. After the park we continued walking amongst neighbourhoods more for tourists with hippie painted houses just for fun and alleys with murals that depicted messages for equality, peace amongst others. A short bus ride and we found ourselves in the Latin neighborhood, very different vibes, with music and a lot of people on the streets.
    It felt nice to be in a big walkable town again, made us both miss home just a little...
    Read more