Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 215

    Carara park and Jacó

    July 19, 2022 in Costa Rica ⋅ 🌧 27 °C

    After a quick night in San José just to get our car, we're on the road again, this time to discover the Pacific coast!

    A mandatory stop on the road to the Pacific coast is the crocodile bridge. As it name suggests, it's a bridge made of crocodiles! No...just kidding, you can see crocodiles from this bridge, and we did! At least 8 or 9, some smaller than others and some hiding in the water.
    After the crocodiles we continue to the Carara National Park, a forest that is a transition between the dry forest of the northwest and the rainforest of the south. We're in rainy season so we saw more of a rainforest. For our short walk we hired a guide who was really good. He showed us some of the insects that live in the forest and the smaller animals that we usually miss as we walk. Our highlight though was seing an anteater looking for food in the trees!

    After all the humidity in the forest we tried to find dry land in Jacó where we will spend the night. Jacó is considered the tourist town in Costa Rica and where a lot fo expats end up. It has a main street with a lot of bars, shops and restaurants to cater to foreigners but it still has a feel of Costa Rica. We managed to find a good little hotel and a good little veggie restaurant, perfect for what we needed!

    We got up early to hike a hidden trail up to an abandoned restaurant with great views across Jacó Bay. It has become popular with dog walkers despite it being very steep. Even at 9am it was pushing 28°C, a very sweaty walk but the views were worth it
    Read more