Satellite
  • Day 22

    Potosi, day 2

    August 22, 2016 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ -1 °C

    Didn't sleep well and tried to organise things on internet instead. Rosy and Pasquale woke up to go to visit the mines, i didn't book it as I wanted to experience more of the city when not closed and also didn't like the idea of dusty and claustrophobic environments. I appreciate the difficult conditions the miners are working on but found the voyeuristic effect of going there as a tourist and in a very touristy trap way to be a bit insulting to them and to me. It is however what you do when in Potosi so I'm not discarding anyone's choice to go, just not my thing.

    Staying behind paid off, I went back to places we'd been to yesterday and the city was full of life today, loads of colours, people, festivities and friendliness all around, the central market was open and there were still folkloristics celebrations going on in the main square.

    The city is a UNESCO endangered site, although that's mostly for the mines (first in the world I think) the old town is quite pretty and picturesque. Took some pictures but mostly enjoyed taking in the life around.

    In town there's the first ever (?) casa dela moneda, the first mint, and a few other buildings that tourists are directed to but nothing much really. In fact there are very few tourists around. I stopped on the main square, chatted to a free locals and enjoyed people watching for a bit then got a coffee in a lovely bar called la plata (that is obviously touristy) and headed back to the hotel to pack my bag and wait for the others.

    After they got back we got more time in town and got a visit to the main cathedral which has a mirador and killed time before the bus ride.

    Back at the hotel getting ready we found out that the miners have called the strike from midnight tonight, they intend to blockade La Paz but the information is sketchy. This is a bit worrying, last time, just over a month ago, they went on strike and blocked all communications and got violent, took 70 police officers prisoners and we're heavily armed and kept on for two weeks. That time over 100 tourists were stuck in La Paz for days and there were violent clashes. These miners are not fucking about!

    The lady at the hotel got worried when we told her we were going to la Paz and told us to get out of there as soon as possible, we have a bus going to copacabana two hours after we arrive but don't know if we will be allowed to get out and sure don't want to get stuck in a blockage or clay with police and miners.

    We'll see. At least it'll make fire a nice story, lol.

    During the bus ride much has happened already, we're the only foreigners on the bus, as we left the station many more people came on, we guessed they board the bus later to avoid what I called the gringo tax, an extra couple of Bolivianos you have to pay when you come or leave. Performers with guitars did a little show for some cash and people come on and off to sell you food or drinks.

    About the hours on also the bus got hailed by the travelers from another bus that either had an accident or broke down so we got a few more passengers on. At midnight there was a fifteen minutes stop to go to the toilet since the bus toilet is broken, people move around and do all sorts, easy, drink, change bus, it's a little chaotic but interesting.
    Read more