Difficult timesMarch 11 in the United Arab Emirates ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C
End of January we were told to leave Saudi ASAP. All borders still being closed, the only country we could leave to was UAE. Still unsure, to ignore the request and remain in Saudi, or to exit to the Emirates and hope for the Omani border to open, we decided to make it across the border.
The border crossing was a story for itself, about which I will write another time.
Since then we are in the UAE. Still no borders opening. Iran cannot be hoped for as the Corona figures are on the rise again, the Oman has tightened its borders as well, so there is no escape.
Now I am totally stuck: the summer is approaching fast, already the temperatures are rising above 30o C. I am feeling discouraged, not being done with my travels, but knowing, I cannot stand another summer cooped up in an apartment, not having anything to do, not being able to walk Rexelby, with dog restrictions everywhere in this state. These long and many months of not knowing where to go, the uncertainty, missing friends and family really cost me lots of strength and positivity. As long I was in Saudi, I kind of felt at home, I had friends I could turn to, who I know would support and help me if needed; there was a lot to see and explore, but this is different here in tiny UAE. I am starting from scratch. I am tired of traveling without purpose and goal! Some clever mind once said something like: “A journey is not the destination, but the way!” I suppose this person didn’t travel in times of Corona. Or perhaps talking about the journey to finding yourself? Well, I thought I have found a lot of myself on this trip so far, but now I am in danger of losing it (pardon the pun). Before this happens, I have to get out of here!!!
But where to!!??
Turkey: I could ship the car and fly in with Rex, but how can I then move on? At the moment you can leave turkey through Bulgaria, but this can change any day. And then? And when the visa expires? Turkey might be better now than UAE, as not as hot, but summer there doesn’t tickle my fancy neither.
Back to Saudi? Not possible, borders closed, they don’t issue any visa at all at the moment.
Home to Australia? Not possible. I cannot enter the country with Rexelby due to quarantine restrictions.
OK, Germany it is: I’m getting all exited: About to book a shipment for my car, I send an enquiry off to the German consulate asking if I am allowed to import my dog. In their response they don’t even relate to my enquiry: I am considered a tourist. Touristic travels into Germany are not allowed at this point in time and therefore they send me a big NO. Now I am getting quite desperate, longing to recuperate in the embrace of family and friends. I need to find a way! There is only one option I have, letigimate, and close to my heart avenue, however this has still the possibility that I get rejected at the airport and sent back. Tough bikkies! The problem is only Rex: he would then be in Germany and myself I don’t know where. I know there will be some generous friends that will take care of him should I need to leave him behind.
I decided to leave Lola here, I just need to find a place where she can wait for us, in the shade, until some borders open. Then, at a later point, I can continue my journey maybe not as planned, but anyway.
Who would have thought that things become so very difficult, particularly on an emotional level.