Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 199

    Berwick Barracks

    April 19 in England ⋅ 🌬 8 °C

    Halfway round the walls, we spotted Berwick Barracks with the English Heritage flag flying high over the entrance. As members, we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to look around.

    In the early 18th century, under the threat of Stuart claims to the crown of Great Britain, large barracks were built within the town walls in an open area called Ravensdowne. Today, Ravensdowne Barracks stand as a prominent reminder of more uncertain times. They were completed in 1721 and were one of the first purpose-built barracks in the country. They were also the largest, accommodating up to 636 soldiers in the 18th century. The last regular soldiers left the barracks in 1964.

    There are four blocks of buildings around a barracks square. The grand stone arched entrance is original and has the coat of arms of George I (1714 - 1727) above it.

    A wash house originally stood in the centre of the square. It was the only place where the 600+ soldiers stationed here could get cold water to wash and to take back to their rooms for cooking! The square was also a place of ceremony, parade, drill, and punishment.
    Read more