Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 200

    Paxton House

    April 20 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 5 °C

    We were up early for our pre-booked visit to Paxton House. Although it was just the other side of the river from our campsite, we decided not to risk crossing the Union Chain Bridge in Bertha. When we looked at it the other night, it seemed rather narrow. Instead, we drove along to the next road bridge and crossed there, adding about half an hour to our journey.

    When we arrived, we were a little early for our guided tour, so we had a look around the museum of the Ellem Fishing Club. Founded in 1829, it is the oldest fishing club in the world. Members fish for trout in the Whiteadder river, which runs into the River Tweed just east of Paxton. It was fascinating to see all the old hand-tied flies.

    Paxton House is a Palladian villa built by Patrick Home in 1758, shortly after the union between Scotland and England was established. The house is located in Scotland, just 250 metres from the border. It is a fine example of the design and craftsmanship of architect John Adam and furniture maker Thomas Chippendale. There are approximately 400 surviving pieces of Chippendale furniture in the world. Incredibly, over 100 of them are found in Paxton House, all of them especially made to fit the space and Adam's design.

    Eight generations of the Home family have occupied the house. In 1988, the latest incumbent, John Home Robertson, gifted it to the nation. He and his family now live in a more modest building on the estate.

    Our guide, Graham, was very knowledgeable. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take photos in the main house, so with this footprint 👣 are shots of the house's exterior and the grounds.
    Read more