Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Day 14. Kylesku to Durness

    December 1, 2023 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 3 °C

    The weather was amazing this morning, glorious sunshine but very cold. The road was glistening with the ice.
    The roads seem much more narrow up here, with literally no room for error, even trickier with the ice. We succesfully managed to drive down to the main road and start our journey to Durness.
    Our first little stop off was at Old Blairmore beach, once again the whole beach to ourselves. Maddy had a run around and managed to find a dead seal washed up, which was really sad. We stayed on the beach for a good while, playing football and throwing maddy's ball.
    After walking back to the van, we had a quick bacon sarnie and carried on our journey - next stop Smoo Cave! Smoo Cave has the biggest entrance of any sea cave in the UK. Allt smoo plunges 25 metres down a sink hole into an inner cave.
    Smoo Cave was a great little visit, there was a launderette just up the road from the car park, so we put a wash on whilst we had a look around smoo Cave. The waterfall in the cave was so powerfull and loud and the cave was lit up with pretty lights.
    Finally our washing was done, we sat in the van and had a tidy up whilst the washing was drying and planned where to stay for the night.
    Luckily, there were loads of places to park up, we had a choice of three close to eachother and decided to stay at the spot most northern facing to see the northern lights.
    We weren't disappointed at all, lots of activity that you could just about see by eye, but really vivid through a camera. We stood outside in the freezing cold taking loads of photos, I had to keep retreating to the van as my hands felt like they were going to fall off, fair play James for staying out so long!
    We warmed up inside and had some more venison for supper, it's so good! We then opened our Colin the Caterpillar advent calender, cheers mum and decorated the van with Tinsell.
    Afterwards, we played rumikub and watched some Netflix and headed to bed.
    Read more